Medication Administration with Lab Competency Check-Off
Course Expiration Date: 3/31/2022
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $80.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: This course is designed to provide the healthcare provider with an overview of the proper techniques in medication administration of oral, eye, ear, topical, inhaled, parenteral and intravenous medication administration. Please follow state and local laws regarding IV medication administration. The online course is complemented with a live demonstration and competency check-off lab.
Instructor: Toni Malpass RN, MSN
Target Audience: Nurses, Medical Assistants, and other healthcare providers who administer medications
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- verbalize what healthcare providers need to know to safely administer medications;
- list the rights of medication administration;
- list the 3 times to check a medication when administering medications;
- verbalize/demonstrate how to properly administer oral medications;
- verbalize/demonstrate how to properly administer topical medications;
- verbalize/demonstrate how to properly administer parenteral medications;
- verbalize/demonstrate how to properly administer intravenous medications (in states and job functions where appropriate);
- demonstrate proper medication administration in lab setting;
- pass a medication calculation test with 100% proficiency in the lab setting.
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 6.8 contact hours.
Certified Medical Assistants: This program, #136080 has been granted prior approval by the American Association of Medial Assistants (AAMA) for 5.5 C credit. Granting approval in no way constitutes endorsement by the AAMA of the program content of the program's sponsor.
Other: This educational offering provides 0.68 CEUs (6.8 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test, complete the evaluation, and pass the live competency demonstration.
Once you pass the post-test, lab competency, and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.